"Breaking Bad Habits"

Today I worked with some of my students on clapping out syllables in different varieties of words. A lot of them naturally clapped one syllable words as two, considering that the beginning of each word would be known as a syllable, when really it was one all together.
For example, "ball" would be clapped by the students as "/b/ /all/" instead of "ball" all together.
My teacher reminded me of something that stuck with me throughout that day in how I observed my students, that some habits are hard to break and that it would be a repetitive process to break that habit.
Hearing that encouraged me to help the students fully comprehend how those words that I tested with them were only so many syllables. Like said, it was a process but nonetheless a rewarding moment when the students were able to distinguish the correct syllables with the words given.
I learned that these students really don't have bad habits, just probably were taught in a different way that might have directed their learning progress and that learning is always a journey- hence my blog name!
My cooperating teacher then showed me the stats of the Istation over this past month and the students have been progressively getting better, I can only hope that I have been a small impact in their success! I am very thankful and happy to be in such a learning experience with my 1st grade class.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanksgiving Break

Slice of Life

Read Aloud